FORT HOOD (Now designated Fort Cavazos), Texas — As directed by the Department of the U.S. Air Force, the 3rd Air Support Operations Group commander will inactivate the 712th Air Support Operations Squadron and reflag the unit as the 803rd Operation Support Squadron at 10 a.m. Sept. 28 during an inactivation and reflagging ceremony in the Spirit of Fort Hood (Now designated Fort Cavazos) Chapel here.
Col. Charles M. Drouillard, 3rd ASOG commander, and Lt. Col. Samuel L. McKinsey, 712th ASOS commander, will both memorialize the unit’s accomplishments and awards.
The 712th ASOS mission is to prepare Airmen and equipment to deploy within 72 hours anywhere, anytime. Make ready two Air Support Operations Centers in support of two Senior Army Tactical Echelons. Validate existing and develop future requirements for the Air Support Operations Center (ASOC) Community.
The 803rd OSS mission is to prepare the Tactical Air Control Party weapons system along with providing Army weather support in integrating, planning, training, and equipping for Joint, multi-domain, combat operations.
In conjunction with its sister squadron, the 818th OSS out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina, the two will be the first ever OSS’s within the global TACP Community.
The 712th originated on August 10, 1965 as the 4461st Direct Air Support Squadron, located at James Connally Air Force Base, Waco, Texas. On March 1, 1966, the 4461st DASS inactivated and the 602nd DASS was designed. During April 1966, the 602nd was relocated to Bergstrom AFB, Austin, Texas. On July 29, 1966, the 602nd DASS was discontinued and the 4476th Tactical Air Support Group was assigned eight subordinate units, which included Detachments 2 at Bergstrom AFB. Detachment 2 would later evolve into the 712th Direct Air Support Center Squadron. In July 1969 Detachment 2 was upgraded to squadron level and given the designation 712th Direct Air Support Squadron. The unit maintained its name until November 1, 1979, when it was designated the 712th Air Support Operations Center Squadron. Then, in July of 1993, the 712th ASOCS relocated to Fort Hood (Now designated Fort Cavazos), and on July 1, 1994, the 712th ASOCS was designated the 712th Air Support Operations Squadron and moved into the building it currently occupies. The 712th ASOS mission has remained basically the same throughout its short, but active period.
The 803rd Aircraft Support Squadron – constituted on August 20, 1958 and activated on December 1, 1958 at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, assigned to 803rd Combat Support Group. It was inactivated on March 15, 1960 and disbanded on October 16, 1984.
The unit will reconstitute and be designated as 803rd Operations Support Squadron Sept. 28. with 36 Airmen making up its ranks.
Media who wish to cover the ceremony will meet a public affairs representatives in the south side parking lot of the Marvin Leath Visitors’ Center at 9:30 a.m. for an escort to the event.